Substance Use Counselor
The purpose of this position is to provide support services, treatment planning and milieu management support at the Barbara McInnis House. Services include: individual and group therapy for patients with primary SUD diagnoses, provide support for scheduled AA/NA/Smart Recovery meetings, assist teams with discharge planning including completing treatment program referrals and facilitating appropriate discharges and follow up services as needed.
• Provide supportive individual and group counseling with focus on Substance Use Disorders utilizing Stages of Change assessment, motivational interviewing and relapse prevention. Refer patients with significant co-occurring psychiatric symptoms or behavioral issues to psychiatry/therapy at BMH.
• Establish relationships with treatment facilities to help increase access to both outpatient and residential substance abuse services
• Focus on treatment planning for patients with Substance Use Disorders including working closely with respite case managers to coordinate referrals and/or discharges to SUD treatment programs
• Serves as a resource to respite staff
• Complete substance abuse assessments as needed
• Works collaboratively with respite teams and BH staff
• Participates in the weekly behavioral health treatment team meeting
• Ability to assess and manage patient needs including active substance use, from a harm reduction framework
• Ability to facilitate substance abuse focused groups
• Knowledge of healthy and appropriate boundaries when working with vulnerable populations
• Computer skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Experience and Education
• Massachusetts LADAC required
• Spanish Speaking highly preferred
• Experience working with patients who have a history of homelessness, trauma, addiction and mental illness
Physical and Mental Requirements
Demonstrated interest in working with an underserved population
BHCHP employees that are interested in this position should notify Human Resources in writing within 10 days of posting date.
If you are interested in this position please forward your resume and cover letter to: [email protected]; Please put Behavioral Health/ Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor in the subject line. Mail to: BHCHP 780 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118; FAX: (857) 654-1095.
An Equal Opportunity Employer