Street Team RN Care Manager
Since 1985, the mission of Boston Healthcare for the Homeless has remained to provide or assure access to the highest quality health care for all persons experiencing homelessness in the greater Boston area. Our dedicated clinical and non-clinical staff works hard to bring the mission alive. The fundamental expression of that mission is the care of those individuals who avoid shelters and sleep on the streets. This population suffers very high mortality rates and presents a complex burden of co-occurring medical, mental health and addictions problems that places them at great risk. Living throughout the year on our city’s streets, this group is exposed to the extremes of violence and weather and are among the highest users of emergency medical services.
Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program Street Team is seeking a full-time RN Care Manager. You’ll work with an integrated and multidisciplinary team that seeks out the men and women of our city who live in alleys and under bridges, offering both urgent and continuous medical and behavioral health care. The Team utilizes two internists, two psychiatrists, a nurse practitioner and a case manager to offer fully integrated and co-located care. To succeed in this role, you must be a flexible, compassionate, and self-motivated individual who embraces the mission. You are committed to delivering low-threshold, high-quality nursing and care management in various non-traditional locations, to a vulnerable population of individuals with a history of chronic street homelessness.
• Deliver nursing triage for busy, low-barrier Street Team Outpatient Clinic at MGH (1 day a week)
• Provide outreach-based care management, and non-judgmental clinical support, in collaboration with other Street Team members, and as part of the Behavioral Health Community Partners Program
• Engage patients with substance uses disorder and mental illness, with a strong commitment to harm reduction principles and trauma-informed care.
• Complete health/needs assessments, and develop integrated care plans with the patient and primary care team
• Track appointments, referrals, and primary care activities and follow up with the patients to assure that they keep their appointments or reschedule if the appointment is missed.
• Complete street outreach and home visits with Street Team as necessary
Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed to meet program needs, at the discretion of the Director of Nursing
In addition, you hold a Commonwealth of Massachusetts RN license, and preferably have at least two years of nursing experience with case management experience. You understand substance use disorder and behavioral health issues, with an interest and experience in caring for this and other underserved populations. Because you’ll be practicing on the streets, you can walk up to two miles a day in varying weather conditions.
BHCHP employees that are interested in this position should notify Human Resources in writing within 10 days of posting date.
How to apply:
Does this amazing opportunity interest you? Then we'd love to hear from you. Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] (strongly preferred) and put RN Care Manager – St. Team in the subject line. Include your cover letter in the body of the email. Attach your resume in Word format. Do not use file-sharing documents such as Google docs. If you are unable to email, please fax documents to (857) 654-1095 or mail them to BHCHP - HR, 780 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118
An Equal Opportunity Employer