Psychiatric Clinical Nurse Specialist
Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program (BHCHP) is seeking a dedicated Psychiatric Clinical Nurse Specialist to join us. In our non-profit organization over 12,000 homeless men, women, and children are seen each year. Thousands of individuals find themselves homeless in greater Boston every year. Among them are chronically ill adults, veterans, children, and the elderly. They are the people who stay in emergency shelters or motel rooms, eat in soup kitchens, or visit drop-in centers.
We are committed to ensuring that every one of these individuals has access to comprehensive health care, from preventative dental services to cancer treatment. Our clinicians, case managers, and mental health providers work in more than 60 locations to deliver exceptional health services to some of our community’s most vulnerable—and most resilient—citizens. Some of the priorities that draw us to this work are: responding to social crisis and injustice; developing long-term individual relationships and empowering the disempowered. We enjoy working with our colleagues and we love our patients.
• Provides comprehensive, high quality primary, episodic psychiatric care, including individual and group therapy if indicated, at various clinical sites staffed by Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program.
• May work at shelter based clinic, hospital based clinic, respite facility or on street outreach but will usually be based at more than one site.
• Elicit an appropriate history, do a thorough diagnostic evaluation, order blood work, interpret results and initiate therapy in accordance with guidelines for Psychiatric Clinical Nurse Specialists of Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program.
• Refer patients as appropriate to primary care, hospital admission, recuperative care and detox facilities, providing appropriate information for continuity of care.
• Track patients through follow-up visits and labs.
• Participate in collaborative relationship with BHCHP Associate Medical Director of Psychiatry according to the Regulations of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
• Provide on-call coverage with BHCHP psychiatrists to ensure 24 hour availability at the respite facilities.
• Provide education to patients and staff regarding medication management and behavior management techniques.
• Work as part of multi-disciplinary team in caring for patients.
• Participate in peer education by giving trainings in areas of interest and expertise.
• Participate and contribute to department, general staff, discipline specific and committee meetings.
• Maintains and enhances professional knowledge by attending CME conferences, educational programs and seminars according to licensure requirements and to maintain the highest level of clinical competence.
• Participate in quality assurance activities.
• Maintain adequate, up-to-date medical records, completed in a timely manner, according to the guidelines of BHCHP, employing standard forms such as problem lists, medication lists, etc.
• Maintain active DPH, DEA, and professional license, managed care credentialing and CPR training
Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed to meet program needs, at the discretion of the Medical Director of BHCHP or the Director of Behavioral Health.
Experience and Education:
• Licensed by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
• Nurse practitioner certified in psych/mental health
• Registered or eligible to be registered with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and the Federal Drug Enforcement Agency
• Spanish-speaking preferred
• Experience in working with underserved populations, mentally ill, homeless and/or persons with substance abuse problems preferred.
How to Apply:
We believe work-life balance is a key part of clinical strength. Salary and benefit package is competitive and we are a National Health Service Corps site.
Does the nature of work and the opportunity to make a difference resonate with you? Does this position seem to match your expertise? If so we'd love to hear from you. Please email your resume to our Human Resources department. Our preferred method of submission is through email, to [email protected] with "Psychiatric Clinical Nurse Specialist" as the subject line. One may also apply by mail to Human Resources, BHCHP, 780 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118, or by fax to (857) 654-1095.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Contact [email protected]