Since 1985, the mission of Boston Healthcare for the Homeless has remained to provide or assure access to the highest quality health care for all persons experiencing homelessness in the greater Boston area. Our dedicated clinical and non-clinical staff work hard to bring the mission alive. To do that, an environment of dignity and respect where patients and staff feel safe and welcomed is vital.
The Milieu/Behavioral Manager, in collaboration with the security staff and a multidisciplinary team, is responsible for creating such an environment. You will greet patients when coming into the building to help them navigate an array of services across the program. Given the complexity of the environment, you’ll help identify patient concerns and needs to determine the most appropriate services. You will also help identify patients under the influence of substances and work in conjunction with security and/or medical staff to avoid behavioral escalations and keep everyone safe.
Work as part of the multidisciplinary team to assure provision of appropriate services.
• Greet patients at the lobby area as they arrive and assess needs for various services such as case-management, nurse triage, appointments, need for use of phone, etc.,
• Assist the security staff in realizing a safe and dignified space through de-escalation of conflict and the management of the lobby, clinic/pharmacy waiting areas and front sidewalk
• Monitor patients in the lobby and clinic/ pharmacy waiting areas for adherence and compliance to program rules while provide on-going support services
• Interact with team members to assure consistent communication across team work and ensure that events, issues and/or problems in the assigned areas are documented
• Participate in the Weekly Safety meetings
• Assist in maintaining positive community relations
• Act as a role model for patients by demonstrating appropriate professional boundaries with patients and staff
• Respond appropriately to emergencies by contacting appropriate staff, interacting with police, fire, and medical personnel as needed.
• Respond to patient requests in a professional and courteous manner
• Adhere to patient confidentiality standards/policies
• Other duties as assigned
Other responsibilities/accountabilities (marginal functions):
Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed to meet program needs, at the discretion of the Director of Operations
• Knowledge of the network of services available to homeless persons, and experience working with homeless persons preferable
• BA/BS preferred, a behavioral/social services related degree preferred
• Experience working with people experiencing homelessness, behavioral health issues and/or substance use, 3-5 years preferred
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
• Strong problem-solving skills required
• Demonstrated interest in working with an underserved population
• Narcan training preferred
• Knowledge with Motivational Interview and Trauma Informed Care models
• Bilingual (English, Spanish) preferred
BHCHP employees that are interested in this position should notify Human Resources in writing within 10 days of posting date.
If you are interested in this position, please forward your resume to the BHCHP’s Human Resources department. Our preferred method of submission is through email to [email protected] with a subject of Milieu/Behavioral Manager. One may also apply by mail to Human Resources, BHCHP, 780 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118, or by fax to (857) 654-1095.
An Equal Opportunity Employer