Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program is currently seeking an experienced Charge RN to join our team!
This position is key in the management of the nursing department of the Respite Program. The key responsibility of the Charge RN is to provide any support that is needed to the team RNs. The role of Charge RN is to ensure that the Team RNs have the support and resources necessary to provide quality care to their patients. The Charge RN will provide direct supervision of the team nurses and will be available at all times for problem solving the challenges of the shift including patient behaviors and medical complexity.
The Charge RN participates in the overall respite admission plan for the specific floor/shift, assesses significant administrative and other challenges from the prior shift and communicates the impact of these issues to appropriate personnel. Additional responsibilities include yearly performance evaluations of designated staff. This position reports directly to respite ADON and communicates with the Director of Respite as indicated.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Receives report from off-going supervisor (staffing and patient concerns) and gives report to on-coming supervisor
• Collaborates with ADON/RN Manager
• Collaborates with provider when possible regarding provider’s concerns on the team
• Communicate shift issues appropriately (i.e., supervisor’s book, voice mail, email, etc.) as indicated and involves administration as needed
• Provide direct patient care as needed
• Assist team nurses with general problem solving as appropriate
• Will collaborate with the Admissions department to assess the oxygen and DME supplies involved with Hi-Alert patients. Charge RN will communicate these needs to team RN and will work to ensure that all supplies are available for the care of the patient
• Charge RN will ensure the smooth functioning of the teams on his/her assigned shift. Notifies ADON/RN Manager /Medical Director of urgent concerns during the shift
• Will assist with milieu management on the assigned floor
• Assist with discharges
• Assist with transcription of medication orders
• Assist with dressings when needed
• Assists in quality assurance by monitoring the HRSA measures
• Keeps ADON/ RN Manager up to date on personnel issues
• Works with ADON/ RN Manager to complete evaluations for employees on shift
• Spends most of the shift on the patient floors to monitor the care of patients and provide hands on support to the nurses and respite aides.
• Has the respite aides demonstrate that all assigned tasks are completed including that all stocking of clinics, linens etc has been done.
• Assists RNs in assessing patients who are experiencing acute changes
• Responds to Code Blue, Code Green situations on assigned floor and the 2nd floor. Assists staff, as needed
• Restocks the Code Cart immediately after use
• Oversees medication room, this includes:
• Monitoring the EDK both schedule II -V;&Schedule 6
• Stocking of OTC meds
• Removing any expired OTC medications; vaccines etc.
• Maintains vaccine par levels
• Liaison to pharmacy
• When necessary, responsible for assigning specific individual tasks to and directing Respite Aides, and giving each a verbal report on patients’ needs (i.e. escorts, end of life care)
• Periodically reviews notes of direct nursing staff on assigned floor and ensures compliance with all regulations and BHCHP policies
• Adheres to all applicable BHCHP policies and procedures
• Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed to meet program needs at the discretion of the Director of Nursing.
Overall supervisory responsibility for registered nurses and respite aides on shift.
• Commonwealth of Massachusetts RN license
• Minimum of 3 - 5 years nursing experience preferred
• Demonstrated interest in working with an underserved population
• Demonstrated leadership ability
• Supervisory experience preferred
• CPR Certification.
• Computer skills, including e-mail, word processing, work scheduling systems; EMR
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Ability to solve complex problems and deal with a variety of issues.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from staff and patients.
• Ability to work well as a team leader/member.
If you are interested in this position please forward your cover letter and resume to our Human Resources department. Our preferred method of submission is through email to [email protected] with a subject of Charge RN. One may also apply by mail to Human Resources, BHCHP, 780 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118, or by fax to (857) 654‐1095.
An Equal Opportunity Employer.