The Case Manager on the Family Team works directly with in collaboration with other members of the Family Team to ensure access to high quality healthcare and support services for homeless pregnant women and families. This position is responsible for providing all of the homeless families and pregnant women sheltered at assigned sites with information concerning available services and community resources, strategies for accessing them and assistance and support in doing so as needed. Family Team services are provided by a multidisciplinary staff in a variety of sites. The team is part of an integrated health care program for homeless people. Their services include episodic adult and child health care, mental health and substance abuse treatment, family planning, nutrition, referral to primary and specialty care, social service advocacy and case management services.
• Assumes responsibility for ensuring comprehensive support for all families and pregnant women placed by DHCD (Department of Housing and Community Development) who choose to use the services of the BHCHP Family outreach team.
• Conducts home visits for families in housing stabilization phase as needed
• Develops a case management plan with each client in collaboration with the client.
• Identifies client’s health, mental health, social and educational needs and assists in identifying and accessing resources to meet these needs.
• Assists client in securing appropriate entitlements.
• Provides each client with information concerning the availability of resources within the community and facilitates access to them (food pantries, schools, recreational facilities, etc.).
• Facilitates the client’s ability to make and keep health care appointments. Provides transportation assistance and other needs as needed..
• Maintains records and prepares reports as requested/required.
• Proactively continues to educate self on providing quality care and improving professional skills
• Proactively acts as patient advocate, responding with empathy and respect to resolve patient and family concerns, and recognizes opportunities for improvement to meeting patient concerns
• Maintains all clients' privacy and confidentiality, adhering to HIPAA regulations and those policies as implemented by the BHCHP.
• Timely and accurate documentation of all client encounters in the computerized record.
• Identify and strengthen resources in communities where the Family Team provides services
• Effective interpersonal skills to interact appropriately with team members, clients, primary care providers and other provider staff.
• Excellent observational skills
• Self motivated, works well independently, thrives in environment conducive to autonomous and creative problem solving, able to maintain professional boundaries in challenging situations, alert to safety and self protection with assessment skills
• Good verbal and written communication skills are required.
• Excellent organizational skills
• An understanding of homelessness and multicultural issues, addictions, mental health and the complex health problems of homeless patients is desired.
• Bilingual Spanish is preferred
• Previous experience working with homeless families is desired.
• Previous case management experience is required.
• Previous experience and/or education in the areas of pregnancy, childbirth, growth and development and well child care is desired.
• A B.S. /B.A. in related human service field is desired. One to two years of education beyond high school or an equivalent combination of work experience and high school education/GED required.
If you are interested in this position please forward your resume and cover letter to: [email protected]; Please put Case Manager Family in the subject line. Mail to: BHCHP 780 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118; FAX: (857) 654-1095.
An Equal Opportunity Employer